Central churches staffed by secular or monastic clergy provided a focus for mission and ministry amongst the smaller tribal communities of Anglo-Saxon England.
In Norman times the manor became the local administrative unit. Churches were built by monastic communities, local lords and others to serve the people living on their estates.
The wealth of the wool trade: St Mary’s Worstead, Norfolk
Over the centuries wealthy parishioners beautified and enlarged their churches and left fine monuments to their name.
The alabaster tomb of Lord and Lady Bardolph (1441),
benefactors of Dennington Church, Suffolk
In East Anglia medieval trade with Europe, particularly in wool, generated considerable wealth making Norwich the second city in the land.
A typical English parish church interior: SS Peter and Paul, Salle in Norfolk
The Anglican Centre in Rome is a UK
Charity with a world-wide mission.
Interim Director: The Very Revd Dr John Shepherd
Deputy Director: Revd Dr Justin Lewis-Anthony
The Anglican Centre in Rome,
Palazzo Doria Pamphilj,
Piazza del Collegio Romano 2,
00186 Roma, Italy.
Contact us by phone on:
+39 06 678 0302
Send your enquiries to: